Samuel David Cliser, 1868
SAMUEL DAVID CLISER, born 12-30-1833 in Page County to the parents of Martin and Sarah Clizer. Samuel was a soldier in the Civil War, 12th Virginia Calvary, 12th Regiment, Company G. Samuel died 2-19-1912, Samuel was both a farmer as well as a school teacher. Married to Laura Shenk in 1873. They had six children, and lived in what is now the Shenandoah National Park, Luray, Virginia.
1. Herbert Melanchton Cliser, born 9-6-1874, known locally as Mel or Melanchton, died 5-5-1948. Married Carrie Batman.
-----1. Blanche Merle Cliser, 3-12-1904 in Page County, Virginia. Married Bergie Fox .
2. Caroline Mary Cliser, born 1876, died 1878.
3. Quinton Samuel Cliser, twin, born 1880, died 1881.
4. Zeumon Cliser, twin, born 1880, died 1881.
5. Arthur V. Cliser, born 7-31-1883, died 9-10-1883.
6. Ernest Calum Cliser, born 7-6-1884, died 2-22-1969. Married Julia Faust, lived in Illinois.
Laura Shenk Cliser and her children Caroline, Quinton, Zeumon and Arthur Cliser are buried,
along with other Shenk family members on Laura's side.
Cemetery is within the Shenandoah National Park.
Herbert Melanchton Cliser and Carrie Batman Cliser, with daughter Merle, 1904.
Better known as Melanchton Cliser, born 9-6-1874, he was the son of Samuel and Laura Cliser. Melanchton was a school teacher at the Rocky Branch school. He later became well known during the late 1920's early 1930's as he fought for his land that was later taken over to in the establishment of the Shenandoah National Park.
Gravestone photo taken by Richard Fox. Samuel D. Cliser is buried on his old homesite in the Shenandoah National Park, Luray, Virginia
COMMENTS? NEW INFORMATION? EMAIL ME GWCLISER@GMAIL.COM